Bullenhuser Damm

The former schoolbuilding at Bullenhuser Damm

The Bullenhuser Damm Memorial

is a memorial site of the Foundation of Hamburg Memorials and Learning Centres Commemorating the Victims of Nazi Crimes. It honours the memory of 20 Jewish children and at least 28 adults who were murdered by SS men in the basement of the building on 20 April 1945. Before they were murdered, the children were abused for pseudo-medical experiments at the Neuengamme Concentration Camp. The Memorial comprises an exhibition and a rose garden.


Latest News

Neuengamme Concentration Camp Memorial Reopens from 18 May 2021

The Neuengamme Concentration Camp Memorial is open for visitors again from 18 May 2021. Registration is available from 17 May 2021. During your visit: Please keep a minimum distance of…

read more

Objects carry memories

As we are unfortunately unable to commemorate together with many guests from abroad this year due to the Coronavirus pandemic, we asked ourselves how we could nevertheless make this possible. We asked…

read more

Memorial work and its contemporary relevance

In Germany, memorial work operates in a difficult environment between coming to terms with the country’s National Socialist past and the socio-political debates of the present. More recently, this has…

read more

We are closed

Unfortunately, due to the persistently high incidence values, we had to close our exhibitions again. We ask for your understanding. Events won´t take place at least until May, 2, 2021. Please check…

read more

Year-end Circular Letter 2020/2021

Dear Madam, dear Sir, dear Friends, 2020 has, in many respects, brought changes for us all, and that includes the Neuengamme Concentration Camp Memorial. At the beginning of the year for instance,…

read more

Events (in german)

  • Sunday, June 6, 2021 14:00–16:00

Die Kinder vom Bullenhuser Damm

Öffentliche Führung durch die Gedenkstätte und den Rosengarten mit Dieter Schlichting.

The Bullenhuser Damm satellite camp after its evacuation, May 1945.

The SS physician

Dr Kurt Heißmeyer conducted tuberculosis experiments on prisoners in Neuengamme concentration camp. For this purpose, he had ten girls and ten boys brought to him from Auschwitz concentration camp in November 1944. They were between 5 and 12 years old. The children were cared for by two French prison doctors and two Dutch male prison nurses, who had been imprisoned as resistance fighters. Afterwards, to cover up the crime of this experiment, the SS decided to murder the children and their four caretakers. Just days before the end of the war, they were brought to the Bullenhuser Damm School, which was being used as a satellite camp at that time, in the war-ravaged district of Rothenburgsort. There, they were murdered in the basement of the school on the night of 20 April 1945. That same night, at least 24 Soviet concentration camp prisoners were also hanged in the basement.


The exhibition at Bullenhuser Damm

The Bullenhuser Damm Memorial and Rose Garden for the Children of Bullenhuser Damm

was built in 1980 by the Children of Bullenhuser Damm Association to commemorate the victims of this crime. In 2011, a new permanent exhibition was opened (in German and English). It provides visitors with information about the site as a school and as a satellite camp of Neuengamme. It also tells about the medical experiments, the victims, how they were murdered, the perpetrators and how these crimes were dealt with after 1945. Roses can be planted in memory of the murdered children and prisoners in the rose garden behind the school playground. A bronze sculpture by Anatoli Mossitschuk was also erected in 1985 to commemorate the Soviet prisoners. 

Grete Hamburg visits the rosegarden commemorating her brother Walter Jungleib

Bullenhuser Damm 92
20539 Hamburg

Opening hours:
We are currently closed!
Sundays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.,
tours available on request.
The rose garden is always open.

Admission is free.

Most of the Memorial Site is wheelchair-accessible.

Book a group tour:
Museumsdienst Hamburg
Phone: +49 40 4281310